My story is your story. I am you. We are searching for truth, hoping to find happiness, and along the way pave our own journey. Join me on my adventurous ride, learn from me and I hope to learn from you.
With Peace,
Salmaa Elshanshory

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I am MISS ARAB USA Everyday




Someone once said live your life with no regrets. So I decided to take that person seriously. I entered the Miss Arab USA pageant filled with hesitation of being selected a candidate, contemplating the appropriateness of this platform for a scarfed Muslim, and trying to weigh out benefits I could gain.

I applied for several reasons, knowing that every reason had an equal rationalization not to pursue this unorthodox path. I applied hoping to challenge what defines a Muslim woman, display the diversity of Arabs, and show that modesty can too be beautiful. Countering this mindset was knowing that a scarfed Muslim wears her religion on her sleeve (or head), therefore I would be a walking contradiction.

The scarf does call on modesty and purity not only in one’s clothing but also one’s lifestyle choices. However, after much thought I found that while the scarf on my head does bear responsibility with it, maybe it should not reflect the entire spectrum of what a Muslim women is. At the end of the day the scarf goes further than a piece of cloth depicting modesty, but a relationship between oneself and God.  For me it has helped set my own boundaries because I am daily reminded who I am.

I do my best in upholding the principles I believe in and for that very same reason I decided the only cognitive dissonance I had was about standing on a platform doing what I do every single day; wearing makeup, rocking my liberal style, and getting down when good times call for it. I decided I will take the path of most resistance and be real by putting myself out there on center stage doing what I do everyday.

I wanted to enjoy my youthful femininity, while showing others that it can be done in a respectable way. I went in it not to win the crown, but to make a statement. This weekend I did and I too dispelled some of my own stereotypes by meeting some of the most educated, outgoing, and humble girls. 85% of our score was based on these criteria. The night of the pageant where our outer beauty and attire was judged, our inner beauty already shined through. The judges had a tough choice before them.   

I stepped onto that stage with the biggest grin because I new I made it. The young girl who grew up uncertain of herself had grown up. She no longer was waiting on someone to cheer her on, for she was confident in who she has become. I have come so far and believe this pageant reminded me that I am Miss Arab USA everyday. (That is until I become Mrs. Arab USA every day. One lucky man ;)

YES the beautiful Christina Rafidia <3 holds the title this year, but the reality is Arab American women are all Miss Arab USA; upholding our culture, values and dispelling stereotypes. One day there will be a scarfed Miss Arab USA and for me I find fulfillment in knowing that I might have just paved the way for someone to do that.  


With Salaam,

Salmaa

1 comment:

  1. it was nice reading your views and reasoning for going into the pageant. Alhamdulillah, i think that you really are doing some amazing things and i look forward to reading about them as you progress

    ReplyDelete