My story is your story. I am you. We are searching for truth, hoping to find happiness, and along the way pave our own journey. Join me on my adventurous ride, learn from me and I hope to learn from you.
With Peace,
Salmaa Elshanshory

Monday, August 1, 2011

No More Fasting of Ramadan.

~RAMADAN KAREEM~

I am finally home after my hiatus away from my blog. I look forward to sharing the rest of my experiences in the Holy Land with all of you. It was an extremely emotional time that showed me the spectrum of human nature and how our environment can nurture those extremes. 

As I take time to debrief myself and absorb all the information I took in, I will be sharing other parts of my life. I hope you continue to follow me on this journey and feel free to come along at any point! 

Today, as we mark the first day of the holy month of Ramadan I would like to share with you what it means to me. As a kid it likely meant starvation, but also being labeled a 'big and tough kid,' who can endure stomach growling all for the sake of well we weren't quite sure! I mean I remember one year Valentine's day fell on Ramadan and I took a bite out of this big old cupcake. Talk about LOVE! I remembered soon enough that I was suppose to be fasting, so I stormed out of the class, spit it out and rinsed my mouth. I felt so guilty. I cheated. 

Then I grew older. Ramadan manifested into something a little more substantive. It meant spending iftars  with family and friends who during the year often time were to busy to gather together. It was social month! Hollllaaar. Oh and the best part was of course anticipating Eid, which basically meant a new outfit, money and gifts. 

Then I some how became too old for that and grew up. In college, Ramadan meant missing my family and hoping the dorm room cafeteria would just stay open one more minute so I can grab the left overs. 

Ramadan was and has always been to me a matter of things one can touch, taste, smell and see. Food, gifts, people etc. It was not till I had to literally fast from all of those that I remember what Ramadan is really about. Due to my health I no longer can fast during the month of Ramadan, due to living in another city I no longer can eat dinners with family and close friends, and due to my age well I no longer anticipate the end of the month when 'Santa Ramadan' comes. 

But ironically, enough because all of that I have learned what Ramadan really is suppose to mean. It is suppose to be about fasting from all the negative things in our lives, from all the things that distract us from our purpose here on earth, and from from all the things that make us stray away from our path. Ramadan is about fasting from gluttony (whether it be food or malls,) it is about re-evaluating how you treat others, it is re-aligning your thoughts with your actions, it is about helping those who don't have the opportunities you have before you. 

Ramadan is about fasting from more than just food. It is a time to fast from who you are in hopes of who you hope to become. May that new you shine toward the right path. RAMADAN KAREEM.  



3 comments:

  1. I love it and I love you!!! Ramadan Kareem habibti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. آللـــهمَ آرزقِنــًــَآ مـٱنُــرِيـــدّ ۆآرزقّ قٍــلۆبُنـ♥ـَآ ماٱتُــرِيد ۆآجَعْلنــَآ لـگَ گــمْآ تُــرِيدّ

    ReplyDelete